Monday, September 3, 2012

The Year of Sewing

     For the past 30+ years, I have flirted with sewing--always wanting to become a fabulous, all-inclusive seamstress, but never really knowing how to get there. Now I do. To be a better sewer I finally understand I have to sew more. So, I have committed myself to one year of sewing instead of purchasing. I should be scared out of my mind, but instead, I am rather excited by the challenge. God knows I have enough fabric to sew myself around the world a couple of times, but I don't think I have the skill to do so. This year will be the year I develop the skill. The only thing that can stop me is fear and lack of faith in myself. By experience I know I can do anything I set my mind to. So, here I gooooooooooo!

     I begin with an honest look at my wardrobe. I must admit, it's pretty pathetic. I have a lot of stuff that is the wrong color, wrong size, and wrong fit. I have clothes that are stained that I continue to hang onto. I have some odd guys that I purchased (mostly on sale) that I never really found a use for. It's apparent to me that I have a closet full of impulse buys and my "wardrobe" has no plan. I cannot tell you how many times I have read the articles about creating a mix and match wardrobe using 5, 7, or 9 pieces. THAT's what I want to do.

     Another thing I recognize involves weight and body shape. Mine is not good. Though I love the look of tailored, I need loose and multi-sized to allow for weight changes. Though I am injured right now and unable to workout, I will be back on my feet soon. I can no longer afford to avoid diet and exercise, and my wardrobe must reflect that lifestyle and adapt appropriately.

     Also, I have to incorporate color that flatters. Somewhere along the way, I lost my color palate for a "summer" wardrobe. I need to get back to that formula. When I dressed according to my best colors, I looked good, felt good, made wise purchases, and had a wardrobe that worked.

    So, where do I start?  I have decided to make my blue jeans my core outfits. With fall looming on the horizon, I think this is a good idea. The next step is to learn how to make a storyboard where I can post pictures of my patterns and fabrics. With that goal in mind, off to google search I go.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I'm your first follower and a fellow Texan. I'm the one who wrote the review of Golden D'or fabrics on Pattern Review.com. I'm just seriously getting back into sewing after a long hiatus. Like you, my kids are getting older and slowly leaving the nest. I have 5 kids and 3 are off to college. I love reading everyone's reviews of the patterns and make some decisions based on them.
    Are you in Dallas? I'm near Denton and that fabric store was quite a trek.

    ReplyDelete