Saturday, August 6, 2016

In the Sewing Saddle Again

       I'm back!! It's been some time since I fired up my computer and shared my latest sewing adventures. In the past year, I left hospital nursing and began a new career in academia, and I must admit, the transition has been interesting. Each and every day was a new experience for me. When I finally thought I got the first semester activities down, the semester ended. When we went back after the Christmas break, I started the second semester. I found myself starting all over again in unfamiliar territory. Praise God, I got through it, learned a lot from it, and found my newest passion--I LOVE helping develop the next generation of nurses. With only two weeks left before the next semester starts, I'm getting busy sewing again, and so I want to share what I'm up to in hopes that I motivate new sewing enthusiasts to step out of their comfort zone and stitch, stitch, stitch.
   
       Working with a new group of people allows me to work on new projects, and one of my favorites is the Penelope Purse from Michelle Dorsey and www.sewmichelle.com. Twice a year, the faculty meet as a whole for Learning Day. I volunteered to donate a purse for a door prize, having no idea what a furor I would create. Apparently, other women like the purse as much as I do--and I love it!!! Here's a picture of my donated one:


       Then I made one for my youngest daughter's mother-in-law, Nancy:


When I first started making purses, I designed a purse organizer to hold my checkbook, wallet, pens, lipstick, etc. Since God knows I can NEVER waste a single scrap of fabric, I took the leftover pieces and made a matching purse organizer:


So that was my month of July. I'm bag at the machine again, playing around with potential Christmas presents for work and friends. I finished the first rough draft, but it turned out so nice I will be giving it as a gift next week. Since I don't want to spoil anyone's surprise, I'll post pictures only AFTER it has gotten to it's new home.

Until then, enjoy sewing and don't be afraid to venture into new territory.

No comments:

Post a Comment