Saturday, April 24, 2010

My Blog

Well, here I am, blogging. I have toyed with the idea for some time. Now, I have decided to take the leap. I wanted to share some of the joys (and frustrations) that I experience from sewing. I found several other blogs online and enjoyed their musings, that I wanted to become part of the process, too. So here I am, blogging.

I began sewing when I was 8 years old. My grandmother, who never purchased a pattern in her life, taught me to sew on an old Singer sewing machine. I remember to this day my first project: a blue cotton dress with set-in sleeves. The first time I wore it, the right sleeve came loose. When I got home, I realized that I had basted but forgot to sew the sleeve a second time. Even though I had a slightly embarrassing moment, I was hooked to sewing. Thus began the many adventures and misadventures that I have had in more than 40 years behind the wheel.

When my children were small, I did my most sewing. I made all their clothes from birth through high school. Last month when my youngest daughter came home for a visit, she pulled out all the old prom and Band Banquet dresses and tried them on. She was thrilled that they still fit. We laughed about all the stories connected with each dress. If was a fabulous mother-daughter bonding time that would never have occurred if I did not sew.

Now, I am in a new phase of my life. In a few weeks I will graduate with my master's degree and begin a new phase in my life. In this future professional capacity, I will need to dress differently. I have decided to sew my new wardrobe and share this experience with anyone who may be interested. I don't know if I will be successful or not, but I am willing to try. One fact is certain, I have a closet full of fabric that must be used.

With those details in place, let the sewing begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment